2011年4月4日星期一

Sick of eggs and running late? Here are some alternative breakfast options. |

So you donated your boxes of whole grain cereal to a food bank, threw out the bagels you've been stashing in your freezer and you've been ignoring the bread isle for a while. It's a brave thing to do, and it also makes quick meals look like a challenge. When I stopped eating grains I felt like I've let my hands get tied behind my back. I was mildly frustrated at first, because, well, what the heck am I supposed to eat now when I'm in a rush?

I'm frequently guilty of sleeping till the last possible moment, which makes my mornings a little scrambled, but still, I never choose to save time by not eating. There is a good chance it would result in low-blood sugar-related cranky and crabby mood, which neither me nor other people like very much. Eating in the morning stabilizes blood sugar levels after a long fast and guarantees that you won't have to sneak a pack of cashews to a meeting, or suffer from dizziness and hunger pangs, or give in to a donut when you're running late and know you're not gonna get a chance to eat for a while.

On top of loving sleep a little too much I often fail to cook extra the day before in order to have leftovers. Plus, although eggs are tasty, eating omelets  gets old after a while. Here are some suggestions if you are like me, sick of eggs and in a rush, and need some no-cooking breakfast options.

Nut butters with baby carrots, celery or capsicum slices.

Nut butters are high in healthy fat and provide protein and just a bit of sugar to get your brain going in the morning. You can purchase a jar of organic almond butter at your local store or you can make it yourself and save money. Best part about making your own butters is that you are allowed to experiment and make mixes of different flavors to suit your own taste! Have you tried a cashew butter on a red capsicum slice? I challenge you to do so. It's delicious.

Cow, goat or sheep cheese with veggies, fruit or jam.

Cow milk cheeses are awesome, but I like to explore and try new things. Some people automatically label goat and sheep cheeses as "smelly", but this is largely a misconception. There is a variety of cheeses out there today, with many flavors and levels of "sharpness" to choose from. Taking a trip to a Whole Foods store and asking for samples may reveal a wonderful new world of cheeses (no-kidding) and add a few options to your breakfast menu.

Highly customizable No-Cereal Breakfast Bowl of berries, slivered nuts and yogurt.

This power snack is a very easy to throw together. Combine a cup of berries of your choice with half a cup of crushed nuts and about half a cup of full-fat yogurt. I prefer yogurt to milk, but milk also works in this. You can add dark chocolate into the mix, shredded coconut or a bit of honey or jam for sweetness. Adding protein powder, nut butter instead of nuts and mixing all in a blender with ice will make a tasty smoothie that you can take with you.

Hope this provided you with some new breakfast options.

Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)

Banking on the Harvest

没有评论:

发表评论