2011年4月30日星期六

Ryan Mallett is a Patriot. Wanna know why he’s like Randy Moss? « A.ssorted D.avid H.arten D.ialogue

The T.V. at work was on silent, but unfortunately for me, I read lips incredibly well.

"With the 74th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select Ryan Mallett. Quarterback. University of Arkansas"

I bent over, grabbed my knees and fought off the urge to vomit (I was at work, after all). The same player that I had said was a great physical specimen but the Patriots had no need for, is now a Patriot. With a steely, proven veteran already in place with at least half a decade left in him of quality time. Why, God? WHY!?!?!

After taking a few (hundred) deep breaths and having someone unhinge from a straight jacket, I thought about it rationally. It's a good pick. Mallett easily has the best arm in the draft and can sit behind Tom Brady for 3-4 years and learn how to lead, how to win, and how to be a big kid. Then get his shot at starting…if he doesn't find the  nearest bong and screw it all up first.

But that's why he was DRAFTED by the Patriots, not signed as a free agent. Unlike a former problem child that New England dragged in. I explain:

Player comes to the Patriots with a reputation as a bit of a wild child with some past legal troubles. Labeled as a high risk, but high reward player with the talent in his body to be great, but the lack-there-of in his head to allow him to throw it all away. But the Patriots bring him in, reform him and make him great, even if it's for their own personal benefit. Who does that sound like? I'll give you an anagram: 'Mandy Ross'.

No. 81 proved to be valuable until he acted up last season, at which point, he was canned. Mallett could be that same player, only in quarterback form. But also could suffer the same fate if he screws it up. Which I don't wish on him, but I also didn't wish it on Moss, and it happened. Difference is Moss was brought in to contribute immediately. Mallett will have more than enough time to live and learn.

...and he gets to learn from this guy

没有评论:

发表评论