2011年4月30日星期六

Random Randomness… « Junglewife

Okay, so I haven't had much time to write any kind of posts here lately, but I thought I would at least give you a little glimpse into what we've been up to lately, in no particular order.

- We had a great Easter. Here in Papua Dan got Good Friday off, and also the Monday after Easter, so it was a 4-day weekend!  Here they not only celebrate on the day of a particular holiday, they also usually celebrate the day after as wel, so we celebrate "2nd Easter", "2nd Christmas", etc… makes for a lot of days off!      We had a friend in town – a teacher who used to live here in Wamena but now lives in Sentani. She hung out at our place pretty much the whole weekend which was fun.  It was a very relaxing weekend!

- The other day I was swinging Claire outside, twisting her up in the swing and then letting her spin, and after doing this several times she started singing, "You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round…" :-)   I think she has been watching Alvin and the Chipmunks movie a few too many times..

- This weekend was a small ladies' retreat organized by our ladies' Bible Study group here in Wamena. It was held at one of the ladies' houses (we'd have it at a hotel if we could but there are only a handful of hotels here in Wamena and none of them are anything you'd ever want to spend the night at!), started Friday afternoon and ends today after lunch.  I am a big fan of sleeping in my own bed and not staying up all night, so I went just for the day yesterday. Dan watched the kids all day and I had a very nice relaxing time with the other Wamena expat ladies!

- We got a computer game from a friend recently called Plants Vs. Zombies. Natalie and I have been playing it a bit these last few days and the other day she was watching me play.  She said, "Is there a huge wave of zombies coming?" and then broke out into song, in the tune of a popular worship song, "Waves of zombies, waves of grace…" :-)

- I did NOT watch the Royal Wedding on Friday… actually I wanted to but then we were busy doing something else, so I didn't end up watching. I watched a bit of the pre-wedding stuff, though, and Natalie wanted to know what I was watching. I explained to her a bit of the prince and princess stuff, and she was pretty impressed that there are actually real-life princesses!  I am amazed at how many people woke up in the middle of the night to watch it in the States, since it was on at about 6 pm here and I didn't even watch it!

- Tomorrow is my birthday. There isn't really anywhere to go out to eat here, so I am going to have Dan grill some German sausages for dinner (made in Bali by a German guy and bought from a friend here in Papua who sells them as a fundraiser for her ministry here.) Too bad I don't have any sauerkraut (Jennifer B, if you're reading this, I sure wish I had some of your homemade sauerkraut right about now!)   I am also going to make my own birthday dessert – this cake here is very similar to a chocolate mousse cake my mom bought for me for several birthdays from a Swiss bakery in Ecuador. Yum! (Of course now that I look at the recipe I see that it is best made the day before… I guess maybe I better start it this afternoon then!)

- There was something else that Claire said in the last couple of weeks that was really funny, but of course now that I'm posting I can't remember it now, and I am sure I will remember as soon as I hit "publish" on this post! Oh well, when I remember I'll post it :-)

没有评论:

发表评论