2011年4月6日星期三

The music that I love – Carl. | marryanother

So I have been posting rather a few picture themed blogs lately and I felt like I needed to rectify this. I am not all about pictures you know! So to go down a musical themed avenue I decided that I should maybe write a list of sorts that was musical in nature.

First album I owned:

Pink Floyd – Dark Side of The Moon (cassette)

The reason that this isn't some really terrible pop band/kiddy song is that my dad raised me right! I received this gem of an album on my 8th birthday. It wasn't a surprise present. I specifically asked for it. I remember when I was younger, staying at my dads house and listening to all his old vinyl's with him. Bat Out Hell (Meatloaf – as if you didn't know) Slippery When Wet (Bon Jovi) Machine Head (Deep Purple) some Whitesnake and a lot of Black Sabbath & Led Zepplin.

All these bands shaped my musical heritage and has made me very thankful. I don't know if I would've picked up the bass without some solid rock foundations to build upon.

Influential Artists.

Primus – When I first heard Primus, I just plain didn't get them. I was too young, but being a bassist they were always a band that were recommended to me for the superb bass lines. When I finally 'got' them, it was a revelation. I have every album and pretty much every side project by them. It was like a switch was flipped in my brain that suddenly went. I get this. This is good. Very Good.

Coheed & Cambria – Another band that I didn't get at first. So much so, that the first time I saw them I walked out. It was a support slot and I normally stick around for support slots, but I just didn't get it. I don't think they are a band you can go to without an introduction first. I love the story arc behind the albums, and the big anthemic sounds that they use. They remind me of Rush, which is no bad thing at all.

Brand New – I am starting to see a patern here. I didn't like these guys at first either. Not through the fact that I didn't get them. I just plain hated them. The first album was, and still is a terrible record. However, the way they have progressed and kept their sound constantly evolving is something that I really admire and each album just gets better and better. When an artists sound matures with them and it works, it's a beautiful thing to behold.

OutKast – I have always liked OutKast since the first time I heard them. The changing point from like to something more was with the album 'The Speakerboxxx/The Love Below' double album. It blew me away. Especially Andre 3000′s side. What makes these guys stand out is the fact that Andre 3000 (or Andre Benjamin if you prefer) is a multi instrumentalist. I admire people so much that are that dedicated to music. These guys encourage me to try out new things. Think outside the box.

Honourable Mention.

Victor Wooten – This guy can play bass. I mean really play. I have a few solo albums and a live album with his family. It's staggering the amount of talent in the Wooten family. I am not going to go into detail or I will be here all night. I bought a DVD of his with a Q&A thing at a bass night. The answers he gave were so honest and enlightening. It was nothing short of spectacular. I don't cite him as a direct musical influence as some of his music is not exactly for me. But Victor the person is a huge influence. His approach to music and attitude to it is a continuing source of inspiration to me, and I a lot of other people out there. Check him out, regardless of if you play bass or not, and be inspired.

If you wanna keep up to date with out day to day ramblings, head over to the Follow Us! page and errr, follow us.

 

Carl.

  Share this:

没有评论:

发表评论